Tuesday, March 15, 2011

J.J. Abrams' Super 8 Trailer Hits Thesis Hard



Probably a half dozen blog posts ago, I talked about the thesis I've been working on. Basically it deals with nostalgia and how that can be used as a tool in filmmaking. How the greats like Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Frank Capra use it in different ways but all seem to play to it.

I also talked about a list of these filmmakers that I've been composing, that all seem to chime in to this universal idea. This guy, although he was towards the bottom of my list, has just shot straight towards the top.

Rarely do I get just utterly excited over a silly little trailer, but everything in this trailer, from the set design, to the camera moves, to the color palette, to the characters and subject matter-- they all exhibit the thesis to the Nth degree.

I'm talking about the Super 8 trailer that was released earlier this week. J.J. stated early on that the production is based off of Spielberg's own work with his 1970's/1980's sci-fi works. I read somewhere that the original story was based on an old draft of an idea that Spielberg wrote over 30 years ago. I think, for a guy who is trying to emulate the master of that type of film, he's headed toward a ten-fold success. It looks and feels like a Spielberg film from that era (complete with the J.J. Abrams signature anamorphic lens flare!), and that's what I really love about it.

If you haven't seen the trailer yet, check it out here:


Now tell me that doesn't look like a Spielberg film? I can't wait to see it just for that reason alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment